What does First Generation mean?
At CSU, a First Generation student is one whose parents have not completed a bachelor’s degree
- 1 in 4 students at CSU is First Generation.
- 1 in 5 Business Majors is First Generation.
- Read about CSU’s First Generation students.
The College of Business is dedicated to the success of First Generation students.
- The First Generation Business Association provides First Generation Business Majors with monthly workshops and events designed to build community, facilitate mentorships, develop academic skills, and foster employer connections. First Generation students are in great company here at CSU, surrounded by a large cohort of classmates, faculty, staff who are #proudtobe First Gen.
First Generation at Colorado State
- 1984: Colorado State became the first university in the nation to offer scholarships specifically for first generation students.
- 2007: CSU launched its First Generation Faculty Project, following a special message from then Provost Tony Frank, asking First Generation Faculty to identify themselves. The hope was that First Generation faculty could serve as role models and mentors to First Generation students.
- 2013: Colorado State University recognized in “The Best Colleges” as the best in that Nation for first generation college students
- 2014: First College of Business Building Bridges Dinner, bringing First Generation students, faculty, and staff together for a celebratory meal and networking. Now a reoccurring annual event every spring term.
- 2015: The First Generation Faculty Project transforms into the First Generation University Initiative (FGUI), now inclusive of staff as well as faculty. Together, the members of this group collaborate across department lines to develop best practices, create outreach opportunities, and provide support for all First Generation college students.
- 2017: The Council for Opportunity in Education (COE) and the Center for First-generation Student Success launched the inaugural First-Generation College Celebration. This event encourages campuses across the United States to celebrate their First Generation students. CSU joined the party in 2018.
- 2018: The College of Business launches a more expansive multi-event First Generation Program, offering a total of 8 unique events every academic year. Participation is open to all First Generation Business Majors, and completely free of charge. Event offerings are diverse, and help students develop skillsets in the academic, career, personal and social arenas.
- 2019: Colorado State University is selected for the inaugural cohort of the First Forward Program and named as a First Forward Institution by the Center for First Generation Student Success.