Global Business Network Resources
FALL 2020 INTERNATIONAL STUDENT CAREER WEEK
Registration for events is required: https://career.colostate.edu/events/
Tips from COB Alumni on Working Globally
Joe Santini on working in Sri Lanka (video below)
Shane Evans on working in Saudi Arabia (video below)
CPT and OPT for International Students
What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
You must be registered for internship credit in the same semester that you are doing an off-campus internship.
- CPT is work authorization for F-1 international students to receive further training that is directly related to their degree level and major. CPT authorization is dependent upon the student being academically eligible and the employment meeting federal government regulations.
- The employment must be an integral part of the student’s established curriculum. “Integral” here is defined as employment that has a strong and measurable connection to the student’s academic program/goals. When describing the learning objectives of the proposed employment and how those objectives are an “integral” part of the student’s academic program, it is not sufficient justification to state that “the employment is related to the student’s major and provides valuable work experience.”
- The employment must not only be related to the student’s major, but must fulfill a specific course requirement, earn internship or practicum credit, or facilitate the student’s successful completion of thesis or dissertation research. In other words, the program curriculum and learning objectives, rather than the student’s desire for employment, should drive the decision of whether the opportunity should be approved as CPT.
More information on applying for CPT can be found here: https://isss.colostate.edu/curricular-practical-training-packet-student/
What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
- Temporary employment for practical training available at each degree level.
- Employment is directly related to the student’s major area of study.
- Requires adjudication (approval) from a USCIS Service Center.
More information on applying for OPT can be found here: https://isss.colostate.edu/optional-practical-training-packet-student/